byNoelle Floyd| Aug 2, 2016
Kay Neatham has been the head groom for Germany’s Marcus Ehning for longer than she can remember. One could argue that no one knows him better as a rider than Kay. So naturally Kay, like Marcus, is particular about her horses and how they prepare for each event. Kay let us in on what Cornado NRW will be packing for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
What Cornado NRW is packing for #Rio2016:
- The first thing I pack for Cornado are his mascots, they have been to every show with him since he arrived at our stable. Cornado inherited his mascots from Sandro Boy, so they are pretty lucky and very special.
- I will pack his bridle, the silver brow band on his bridle is also from Sandro Boy. Also quite sure Marcus wouldn’t ride in the ring without “the” bridle, so it’d be a long way to fly without it!! “The” bridle is an eggbutt snaffle, on a Passier bridle. Marcus put the bridle together for Cornado himself and it fits perfectly.
- Cornado’s saddle. Marcus only rides in a Passier saddle that is perfectly made to fit Cornado. It is a must-have for horse and rider comfort.
- Cornado’s feed is made by Pavo. It is made specially for Cornado, it allows him not to be too fresh but have plenty of available energy in the ring.
- Although we don’t use them anymore, I still always pack the white over-reach boots. When Cornado was younger, he wore them all the time. We got a lot of grief for their appearance, but I still feel the need to pack them for each horse show.
- Cornado’s own headcollar’s made by Passier. Cornado is special so he has two head collars, one for shipping and one for hanging out at the show with!
- It took us ages to get a martingale that fit Cornado because he can get rubs from the leather quite easily. We bought this one at Hickstead Horse show. Cornado never jumps without his own martingale.
- Easy white spray-on dry shampoo made by Veredus. Cornado lives to sleep and the best sleep for him is getting as camouflaged as possible. Him and I would spend way too much time in the wash box without this or be would be green all the time!!
- Cornado has his own jumping boots as he is a size bigger than most of my other horses.
- Apples are Cornado’s favorite treat.
- Cornado also has a fly bonnet that I sewed for him myself. I sewed the fly bonnet for the Nations Cups and if you look it has a little, black, red, gold binding just behind the ear.
- Absolutely not to be forgotten, Cornado needs Marcus in Rio. They are a match made in heaven!
-As told by NF Style