byNina Fedrizzi| Sep 23, 2017
Edwina Tops-Alexander is back in the tack and the grand prix ring following a five-month hiatus from horse showing after giving birth to her daughter, Chloe Tops, in July. The winner of the Saut Hermès CSI5* Grand Prix in March has been in the top tier of the world rankings for much of her career, thanks, in no small part, to her relentless work ethic and dedication.
And, when it comes to preparing her team for one of their many annual international tours, Edwina brings the same attention to detail to the management of her tack trunk and equipment. From breastplate attachments to boots and cutting-edge stirrups, click through the slideshow above for eight things Edwina Tops-Alexander never leaves home without.
- Edwina Tops-Alexander Wins the €400,000 Grand Prix Hermès CSI5* in Paris [Noelle Floyd]
- Ellesse Tzinberg: Twelve Things I Always Have in My Tack Trunk [NF Style]
- Tack Trunks: How George Whitaker's Compares to Emma Heise's [NF Style]
1. Amerigo Leather-Lined Tendon Boots (also available in hind boots) have calf skin on the inside of the boots, as well, to protect the horse's skin. "They don't sweat and they don't rub [unlike] nylon boots," Edwina says, "that for me is super important."
2. Edwina prefers thickly padded ear bonnets (such as Equiline Soundless Ear Net Bonnets) for her horses to help block out the noise of the crowds without having to plug them. "I ride every single horse in them all the time," Edwina jokes.
3. "I can't ride without a simple stick pad, which I cut in half," Edwina says, adding that she always uses one (like this Gel-Eze Under Bandage) directly on the skin while jumping.
4. For general work, Edwina prefers Equifit T-Sport Wraps. "They're really soft inside and really nice on the skin of the horse and they never rub, so they're great for exercise," she says.
5. "Zip ties are super handy to have for everything!" says Edwina, who uses them to hang her stable blankets and curtains.
6. Amerigo Attachable Breastplate Bib is designed with an attachable elastic insert for independent rein control. "You just have better turning with the horse," says Edwina, adding that she jumps almost all her horses in an Amerigo bib. "I find this to be one of the best things you can have."
7. Ontyte Magnetic Stirrups create a non-binding magnetic grip between the stirrup foot pad and the riding boot sole. "I've probably only lost my stirrup once or twice," Edwina says. "The only thing is, once you've got them, you get very used to them—I try not to jump with them at home, just at the show."
8. Edwina always takes her Samsung Galaxy camera along to horse shows so she can upload her videos directly to YouTube. "This is super important," says Edwina, "this is the best [kind of] camera you can have."