byNoelle Floyd| Apr 9, 2017
It was 25-year-old Swiss rider Martin Fuchs who took the first Grand Prix title of the 2017 Longines Global Champions Tour season by storm, aboard his handsome bay stallion, Chaplin. But what is even more charming, is that Martin and Chappie are just like so many horse and rider combinations, of all levels. Find out fifteen things that you might have in common with the young Swiss talent Martin Fuchs and his scopey bay stallion, Chaplin.
Fifteen Things You Will Want To Know About Martin Fuchs and Chaplin:
- Martin comes from a family of champions. His father, Thomas Fuchs, represented Switzerland in show jumping at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, Spain. His Uncle Markus acted as chef d’equipe for the Swiss equestrian team at the 2012 Games in London and won a team silver medal in show jumping at the 2000 Olympic Games. His mother Renata competed in elite riding events and was Swiss champion in 1990.
- Chaplin, the 10 year old Dutch-bred stallion, was ridden by Leon Thijssen as a young horse and then by fellow Dutch rider Jelmer Hoekstra at the two and three star level. Martin’s first five star competition with Chaplin was in St.Moritz in August of last year.
- Fuchs’ idol is Steve Guerdat.
- In January 2016, Martin took over a his uncle’s stables in Wangl, Switzerland.
- Fuchs participated at the inaugural Summer Youth Olympics in 2010. With a European mixed team, he won a team gold medal.
- Martin broke his nose in January after winning a class with Chaplin, he returned to competition by winning with his Olympic partner Clooney at the Longines Masters of Hong Kong.
- He has a lucky whip that he took to the 2015 European Championships in Aachen and also to the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
- Chaplin has particularly small ears so this makes him a expert at removing his tack during transport. Due to his clever ways, Chaplin always has two halters, just in case he gets out of one.
- Martin fell of his horse Ideo after winning a class in Galgenen in 2011 and he notes this fall as one of his most embarrassing moments.
- His dream horse is Shutterfly.
- Martin won the LGCT Grand Prix in Mexico and in the same day finished third with his Global Champions League team, Chantilly Pegasus. In the GCL class, Martin finished second individually riding Chaplin, the same horse he rode in the Grand Prix.
- The Longines Global Champions Tour Grand Prix of Mexico City is Martin and Chaplin’s first 1.60m Grand Prix win.
- Chaplin is son of Maikel van der Vleuten’s Olympic stallion Verdi.
- The handsome bay stallion’s barn name is “Chappi” and according to his groom, Sean Vard, he has quite the sense of humor. “He sometimes forgets he’s a stallion and demands a bit too much freedom”says Sean. “He loves to go hacking at home and he also loves hand walks. His favorite treats are old school carrots and apples. Sometimes the Uncle Jimmy Ball makes an appearance at horse show but doesn’t tend to last too long! He is a sweetheart to work with but can scream and shout and make his presence known, like a typical stallion.”
- Chalpin is brother of Hardin Towell’s New York, Emanuele Andrade’s Bonjovi and Anthony Condon’s Chinook II.