byNina Fedrizzi| Jul 4, 2017
It’s evident that positivity is healthy part of show jumper Nicola Pohl’s program. At the horse shows, she’s rarely photographed without a smile on her face, and her words of wisdom concerning those ‘bad days’ in the ring are equally inspiring (you can read them below).
The rider for Dagobertshausen Equestrian Centre is lucky enough to work with two top coaches—longtime trainer Conny Kugler at home, and Dietmar Gugler on the road—while competing around Europe on the summer circuit. Here, she takes a break to share her answers to our Twenty Questions quiz.
1. NF Style: At what exact moment did you fall in love with horses?
I think I was too young to remember that now, but my mum said I’ve always been into ponies since I was a baby.
2. For riding, do you prefer black boots or brown boots?
For the show always black, but at home, brown can be nice.
3. If you could do any other equestrian discipline what would it be and why?
I guess dressage, I’m too scared of eventing or racing.
4. What is the most embarrassing thing to have ever happened to you while riding?
I can’t think of something really embarrassing… probably last year at a championship. On the first day, I couldn’t get my horse to the first jump, and on the second day, I got eliminated! I came there with high hopes.
5. What is the most inspiring thing to have ever happened to you while riding?
Watching the Nations Cup in Aachen! For me, this was one of the most special moments.
6. What is your favorite #TwoHearts Moment of your season?
Nick Skelton [winning at Rio 2016] with Big Star.
7. What was the hardest lesson you have had to learn in your riding?
Most of the time, we don’t win.
8. Who is your mentor and why?
Dietmar Gugler because he is coaching me perfectly, and there is a great team behind him!
9. If you could ride a horse from the past, who would it be?
10. If you could ride a horse right now, that is not your own, who would it be?
Fit For Fun.
11. How do horses keep you grounded in the industry?
I’m not a person that tends to get too high on myself.
12. What is your favorite guilty pleasure?
Naps, ice cream and driving too fast. 🙂
13. When were you most happy on a horse?
I think the first time I rode my horse, Walona, after she arrived at my stable.
14. If your top horse were a famous person, who would it be?
Rowan would be Robbie Williams. His stable name is “Robbi” as he is the biggest actor of them all, and always needs the full attention of everybody!
Bibenbreaker would be Christiano Ronaldo as he is so in love and full of himself all the time! He knows that he is the best.
15. What is one piece of riding clothing or equipment you could never do without?
Gloves! I can’t ride without them.
16. What is your helmet of choice and why?
At the show, I wear the Miss Shield by Samshield because it’s super light and I like to have the big visor for sunny days—it also looks really elegant! At home, I ride in the Charles Owen as they are super comfy!
17. Which famous clothing brand do you wish would come out with an equestrian line?
Zadig & Voltaire.
18. What is your biggest splurge to date when it comes to your riding and/or horses?
Horse treats—I feed them way too many!
19. What is the best piece of riding advice you have ever received and from whom?
“You have to have a long-term plan.” I got it from my home coach, Conny [Kugler].
20. What is your life motto?
Enjoy every day, because you never know when it’s your last! And try not to care too much when you, for example, have 1 or 2 [rails] down at a show. There are so many worse things in the world! Be grateful 🙂
-Photography by Lucio Landa.
- Ten Things Nicola Pohl Has Learned From Konrad Kugler [NF Style]
- My Favorite Exercise With Nicola Pohl [NF Style]
- All Twenty Questions post [NF Style]